Finding the Wisdom of the Crone

In this society that seems to value material possessions, youth and physical beauty, a woman over forty must work to find her voice, her heart, her spirit. It's time to change that. All it takes is one woman to change how she sees herself. All it takes is one woman to pass that love of self and her life onto another one. That is all it takes. I'll go first.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Woman and The Tree

This March, on a dreary cold day, I attended a class in Celtic Shamanism, given by Andrew Steed - www.andrewsteed.com - a gentleman I love and admire. I've practiced the Craft for many years, so Andrew's class was basic to me - but it's always good to be around like minded folk.

Part of Andrew's class was out in a nearby park. As soon as I walked into the park, I gravitated towards a tree. I love trees (as you can tell from my "grounding" post). I didn't know that finding a special tree was part of Andrew's plan.

I loved this tree because her trunk was wide and her roots were thick. Her branches were gnarled and bent. She gave the impression of surviving years of storms. I stood by her as Andrew told us we were to pick out a tree that "spoke" to us and try to determine what the tree was trying to say.

I leaned against her firm trunk and ran my hands over her bark, looping and ridged. Suddenly I remembered staring at my legs as I dried them after my shower that morning. I was bending over to pat the towel over my calves and I noticed how the skin on my legs wrinkled. Yet another sign of getting older, I sighed to myself and then immediately forgot it - that is until I saw this tree's beautiful trunk.

With tears in my eyes, I looked up into her branches and noticed that names had been carved - some singly in expressions of egotism - some thing in expressions of love. I traced her scares with my finger tips and asked forgiveness of those who could have hurt so by taking a knife to her skin.

And then I thought of those who had carved their names in me - in my heart and would I have wanted them not to have been in my life. No - each name carved in the bark of this crone, whether carved in egotism or in love - each one helped to make me the person I am today.

That was the lesson the woman took from the tree.

The storms, the people, the experiences, the weathering - make the wrinkles, make the names carved on my heart - make it all precious and very, very, very important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home