Finding the Wisdom of the Crone

In this society that seems to value material possessions, youth and physical beauty, a woman over forty must work to find her voice, her heart, her spirit. It's time to change that. All it takes is one woman to change how she sees herself. All it takes is one woman to pass that love of self and her life onto another one. That is all it takes. I'll go first.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Talking to Trees . . .

. . .and listening to them.

The tree is a large spruce that's in front of my apartment building. There is a wide yard between the building and the road and this tree dominates the yard. I love that tree - my little bit of the woods on the busy street where I live.

One day I walked to the tree and reached into its prickly branches, spider webs catching on my arms, brushing me softly with silver threads. As I touched the needles I could hear the tree say, "You know - one day I will be cut down to widen this road."

Needless to say I was surprised to "hear" the thoughts of a supposedly inanimate object. But I was also surprised by the tree's accurate perception of its (his/her) fate. My street connects two busy thoroughfares that are quickly becoming busier. There are plans for a 250-home development, a hospital campus and an "upscale" mall just two miles away. I could see the future need for the widening of the street - the disappearance of the yard - and the tree.

It was in that instant that I realized a truth - they know more than we do. They can see their fate and be resigned to it - understand it - and maybe even understand the human folly that causes it.

I held onto the branches, tearing up, and told my tree that I would love it as long as I could.

It will be difficult to move away from the tree as long as it stands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home